Thursday, July 10, 2014

FORMER TRUSTEE MERRILY SCHALANKSY (BESVINICK) SUPPORTS CROTON UNITED

Welcome to EverythingCroton, a collection of all things Croton--our history, our homes, our issues, our businesses, our schools--in short, EVERYTHING CROTON. 

Please take a moment to read an important letter from former trustee Merrily Besvinick (Schalansky). You can also find it on page 2 of the 7/10/14 edition of THE GAZETTE, on sale just about everywhere. 

Dear Editor:

After a long absence from public life, like the character from the child’s tale of Rip Van Winkle, I recently “awoke” and found myself in a transformed village.  The village has become almost unrecognizable in so many ways…

I am a life-long Democrat.  I come from a family of Democrats.  I have said on more than one occasion that my arm would break if I tried to pull the lever for the Republican Party.  BUT I am not a fool, I must re-evaluate my vote in local elections.

It is said that there is no Democrat or Republican way to pick up the trash… or plow the roads.  Political labels mean almost nothing locally.  We don’t choose national agendas in Croton.

When I served on the village board I ran, and served with, a life-long Republican.  Though we often disagreed no one ever said that either of us were secretive or in public life for ourselves.  That is not, in my idealistic view, the way things are supposed to be… it’s called public service for a reason.

For this reason I will join with other Democrats, Independents, and, yes, Republicans to better serve the residents of my home.  As it says on the Croton United webpage, “We believe strongly that in order for our village to effectively address pressing local issues, our community must move beyond allegiances to national political parties.”

And so do I.

Sincerely,

Merrily  Besvinick (Schalansky) 

4 comments:

  1. WOW. Thank you so much for doing this and welcome back.

    While we're on the subject, the entire board has to go. Their silence on so many issues brought up by the mayor and Tte. Gallelli, and active support on others not in the best interest of the residents, makes it clear that we need a fresh approach to helping our village recover from some disasterous decisions already made and those still in the offing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Merrily, please come back. We need a thorough house cleaning if we are ever to progress past all this political crap. Fondly remembering you, Paul A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's back to the Croton we can afford, the Croton We Want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE NEED OFFICIALS WHO WILL WILL PUT THE FOCUS BACK ON CROTON NOT THE REGION, NOT WINDMILLS, AND PERSONAL AGENDAS AND WANTS!

    Thank you Merrilly from the bottom of my heart!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete